The Outstanding Chapter Member Contribution Award was created in 2007 by SETAC to honor the many contributions that members make at the Regional Chapter level to SETAC. This award will be presented annually to a regional chapter member of SETAC who has been consistently contributing to the development or functioning of the Society at the Regional Chapter Level. The recipient’s contributions would include improvement of the services the Regional Chapter offers to members through activities such as:
- Leadership for members at the chapter level;
- Improving services to members;
- Enhancing the growth of the Regional Chapter membership;
- Committee representation;
- Annual Regional Chapter conference or portions thereof;
- Short courses and workshops;
- Organizational and administrative support to any of the above;
- Participation on the SETAC NA Student Advisory Council
The award, which will be announced each year at the SETAC North America Annual Meeting, is meant to recognize that the Society’s success and value to members is realized through the countless hours that its members contribute, often in the background, to the functioning of the Society’s Regional Chapters. Once an individual is nominated, that nomination will remain in effect for a period of three years, provided the individual has not received the award.
To qualify for this award, the recipient must:
- A current Regional Chapter member of SETAC in good standing and their SETAC chapter must be within the North America Geographic Unit of SETAC;
- It is not a requirement that the individual also be a member of SETAC at the National level;
- May be from any of the three membership sectors of the Societies (academia, government or private)
The application package must contain all of the material requested to be considered for the award
- Letter of nomination (two (2) pages maximum). This letter is provided by a SETAC member who are familiar with the contributions the nominee has made. This letter must indicate how the individual exemplifies dedication and service as well as the letter should provide specifics on the contributions for the award criteria. This letter describes the contributions of the nominee and should describe the nominee’s work and how it is aligned with the Award’s purpose, eligibility, and/or criteria of the award; the excellence of the work, inventiveness of the approach used, the potential/realized impact and benefits of the work on society, and service to the scientific community;
- Two (2) letters of support from individuals that are SETAC member and familiar with the contributions the nominee has made. The support letters should clearly describe the impact of the nominee’s work that aligns with the effort with the Award’s purpose, eligibility and/or criteria. The letters should each indicate how the individual exemplifies dedication and service to a regional chapter member of SETAC who has been consistently contributing to the development or functioning of the Society at the Regional Chapter Level. Each letter should be no more than two (2) pages and contain information not given in the letter of nomination;
- Biographical sketch – A brief (3000 characters or fewer) bio that focuses on the award criteria. Please do not include a list of publications;
- Citation (50 words or fewer) – Include a suggested citation that can be inscribed on the award and used to summarize the accomplishment (e.g., for his or her outstanding accomplishment…).
The SETAC North America Awards and Fellowships Subcommittee for Professional Awards will evaluate nominations.
The winner will be announced at the SETAC North America annual meeting. Registration fees for the recipient will be waived, and one-year membership will be waived by the Society in recognition of the individual’s contributions.
For further information, contact Laura Swanson.