The Dependent Care Travel Grant supports SETAC members who would like to attend a SETAC North America annual meeting but are impacted by the high cost of significant dependent care responsibilities, including childcare. The impact can be so great that it often prevents attendance at meetings, especially for early career scientists or those at small institutions with limited funding.
Grants of up to US$400 are available to support attendees who incur additional expenses or travel costs associated with dependent care during an annual meeting. Ten grants are available for the upcoming SETAC North America 40th Annual Meeting, which will be held from 3-7 November 2019 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
The applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Must be a current member of SETAC North America
- Attend the SETAC 40th North America Annual Meeting in full
- Must be the primary caregiver
SETAC defines a dependent as:
- A child 16 years old or younger, who resides with the applicant
- A person older than 16 (e.g., an adolescent or adult child, spouse or elderly parent), who resides with the applicant and is dependent on the applicant for support due to a physical or mental impairment
If the number of grant applications exceeds available funding, preference will be given to applicants in the early stages of their careers.
- Dependent care expenses in route to or at the site of the meeting*
- Additional expenses at home because the primary caregiver was attending the meeting (e.g. overtime at a daycare center, cost of a sitter, etc.)
- Travel costs for bringing a caregiver to the meeting or your home
- Travel costs for bringing a dependent to the site of the meeting
*View a list of child care providers for the SETAC North America 41st Annual Meeting. SETAC is not responsible for any agreements made between these companies and meeting attendees.
- Regular home-based dependent care expenses
- Expenses related to the attendee’s meeting participation, such as meeting registration, meals, travel of the attendee to the meeting
- Entertainment and personal expenses, such as tickets to local museums, amusement parks or social activities
For further information, contact Laura Swanson.