Each year at the SETAC North America annual meeting, SETAC students can sign up to have their presentation judged for the Best Student Platform Presentation and Best Student Poster Presentation awards.
Students can indicate their desire to participate in the award when they submit an abstract for the SETAC North America annual meeting. In order to qualify for consideration, the first author of the presentation must be a current SETAC student member. The results must be of research conducted by the author as a student, while still a student.
The Student Presentations Subcommittee of the SETAC North America Awards and Fellowships Committee and additional reviewers will judge the presentations. All applicants will be ranked on the basis of the following criteria:
Quality of Presentation and Research
- Completeness: Abstract, introduction, hypotheses and goals, methods, results, conclusions (0-20 points)
- Content: Soundness of approach and methodology, results and discussion (0-10 points)
- Context: Background, relevance, significance of contribution (0-10 points)
- Mastery: Depth of understanding and knowledge of field (0-10 points)
Oral Delivery (This criteria will not apply to the SciCon 2 virtual meeting)
- Mechanics: Timing and clarity of speech (0-10 points)
- Style: Enthusiasm for subject and ability to hold interest or engage the audience (0-10 points)
- Mechanics: Overall layout and clarity, effectiveness in reinforcing presentation (0-10 points)
- Style: Innovative user of imagery and layout, engaging (0-10 points)
Defense of Presentation
- Clarity of answers to question, demonstrated knowledge of work by responding to judge’s questions (0-10 points)
For each category, there will be a first, second and third place for the following awards:
- Best Student Presentation for Foster (Sonny) Mayer PhD
- Best Student Presentation for Masters
- Best Student Presentation for Undergraduate
The SETAC North America office will notify recipients of these awards after the SETAC North America annual meeting. The award winner will receive a certificate and a complimentary registration to attend next year’s SETAC North America annual meeting.
For further information contact Laura Swanson.